For free existent clip breaking news alerts sent consecutive to your inbox motion up to our breaking news emails
Sign up to our free breaking news emails
The news that Ken Livingstone, a figurehead successful nan Labour Party for 40 years, is ‘living pinch Alzheimer’s Disease’ follows a highly successful but divisive profession successful politics.
Here is simply a timeline of nan cardinal moments of his life and career:
– 17 June 1945: Ken Livingstone calved successful southbound London.
– 1969: Mr Livingstone joins nan Labour Party.
– 1971: He is elected to Lambeth Borough Council.
– 1973: He gains a spot connected nan Greater London Council (GLC).
– 1981: Labour return power of nan GLC and Mr Livingstone is elected leader.
– 1986: After respective high-profile clashes pinch Margaret Thatcher’s Tory government, nan GLC is abolished.
– 1987: Mr Livingstone is elected MP for Brent East.
– 2000: He stands against charismatic Labour campaigner Frank Dobson to go Mayor of London.
– 2004: He wins nan station again aft being allowed backmost into nan Labour fold.
– 2006: A High Court judge finds Mr Livingstone had made “unnecessarily offensive” and “indefensible” remarks likening a Jewish newsman to a Nazi attraction campy guard. But he is cleared of bringing nan agency of politician into disrepute.
– 2008: Mr Livingstone loses City Hall to Tory Boris Johnson.
– 2012: He is again beaten to nan mayor’s occupation by Mr Johnson.
– 2016: He is suspended from nan Labour Party for claiming Hitler supported Zionism successful nan 1930s “before he went huffy and ended up sidesplitting six cardinal Jews”.
– 2017: The erstwhile politician avoids expulsion from nan Labour Party astatine a disciplinary hearing, but is suspended for different year.
– March 2018: His suspension is extended again arsenic caller disciplinary probe launched.
– May 2018: Mr Livingstone resigns from Labour.
– January 2022: He applies to subordinate nan Green Party but his exertion is rejected.
– 20 September 2023: Mr Livingstone’s family corroborate that he is surviving pinch Alzheimer’s Disease.